AboutStoreFavorite LinksHomeFavorite Blogs

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Discovery Bottles

I've read about these before, but I actually am going to attempt to get them done. (will post my pictures later). Basically, you fill a nice size bottle (Voss water bottle, Gatorade bottle-something that has a big enough opening to stick things into). You fill it with trinkets (to make an eye spy), letters, dice, or sight words. Then add rice, corn, or sand to fill it up, leaving a little room for shaking. I am going to fill mine with sight words written on foam. Then fill up with sand.However, I didn't just want the students to look for the word and write it down. I wanted to see if they could read the word, and use it in a sentence. So here's my worksheet for this center activity.

2 comments:

  1. YES!!! I love this. I have bottles like this (mine are filled with colored sand and typewritten sight words) and while the kids shake and find the words, I was always concerned that they didn't READ the words. I will use this. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome!!! I loved the idea when I first saw it a few years ago, but like you, I wanted to know that they weren't just writing them down. Basically, this is a 2-for-1....reading and writing! :)

    ReplyDelete

First Grade and Fabulous

Total Pageviews