AboutStoreFavorite LinksHomeFavorite Blogs

Friday, September 11, 2015

The Life of a MOMCHER--and a freebie or two! :)

Yes---the life of a momcher!  So many of us are momchers and as rewarding as it is, it poses so many challenges.  What is a momcher you ask?  A Teacher Mom--but I'm coining this newfound portmanteau word! :)  A momcher is one who goes to work, comes home cleans/does laundry/washes dishes/loads dishwasher/fixes supper/dusts/sweeps/mops/clean bathrooms/plans lessons/goes to karate or soccer/fixes lunches--well, you get the idea.  Basically momchers rock--and KUDOS to single momchers!

Moving on.....

So here I am working hard to get 1st and 2nd grade assessing completed so we could start groups next week...and what happens?  My son gets sick.  Really?  We haven't been in school long enough to get sick, have we?  Well, he proved that wrong!  He's better now though and went back to school today!  But seriously, one day throws you off, doesn't it?  It throws off your planning or schedule at school and it throws you off at home.

At home, we try to do a load of laundry every night, keep the house tidy, keep dishes clean, bathrooms clean--and then just dust/sweep over the weekend.  Sounds great right?  Well, what was I to do when I'm home?    I usually bake, but since we're dieting (or at least watching) I didn't want to go and get all carried away in the kitchen.  (Mind you, it's clean per our weekly routine!)  I can't watch TV because he was resting on the couch---and I had to have something to do (and let's face it--the treadmill once a day is MORE than enough--BLARG!) 

--- I thought, and I thought about how my students were performing based off of their AIMSweb and Running records.  I remembered that the words look and see were being switched by so many of the kiddos.  I decided we needed a story to review those words.  I wanted something that worked on short a and had a few pre-primer words.  I wanted something that provided word work with the story, but I could also use for comprehension.  I wanted a story that would help increase their fluency. Here's what we have:


Five words to introduce and/or review from the Dolch Pre-Primer list.
This also helps with the fold in method of five new words. 




 A word work activity that reviews the five new words.

The story The Little Cat.  
The story uses repetition to help increase their fluency. 







Another thing I noted when assessing students is that they have a hard time copying/writing/forming sentences.  This would be a good starting place for the struggling kiddos and it comes from the story.

If you would like your own copy of this story set, click the image below. 
The Little Cat: A freebie--First Grade and Fabulous

I would love to create more sight word stories like this following the same pattern--using Dolch words.
Let me know what you think!
If you are interested in just working on a sight word a day, check out the Super Reader packs.
Super Readers-First grade and Fabulous
Super Readers-First Grade and Fabulous
Super Readers-First Grade and Fabulous
Super Readers-First Grade and Fabulous

I found success with these with students over the past few years.

Last year, I created fluency reads using preprimer words.  I found my students enjoyed them and their fluency increased.  These work great in a spiral binder, just place inside sheet protectors.  You can also work one-on-one with students and have them highlight, circle, find the given sight word you are practicing.  You can click the image below to see it on TPT.
Fluency Reads for Beginners-First Grade and Fabulous


Last year, I also worked with 2nd and 3rd graders.  I noticed that non-fiction is a weaker area.  I wanted a way to work on comprehension and fluency with them this year.  I am LOVING this new set. They are differentiated as well!  Check them out and download a sample to try in your classroom.  See the image below to check it out. 
Rainforest Reads-First Grade and Fabulous


How do you work on fluency and/or sight words in your classroom?




7 comments:

  1. Your Little Cat packet's link is not coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOW it did. Thank you !! Very excellent!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using the little cat book and materials. My kiddos and I love them! I would love more sets like this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW I teach 1st grade and the packet is perfect for my struggling readers. Thanks again. I hope you make another one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW I teach 1st grade and the packet is perfect for my struggling readers. Thanks again. I hope you make another one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been using the little cat book and materials. My kiddos and I love them! I would love more sets like this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I hope you make more soon too:)

    ReplyDelete

First Grade and Fabulous

Total Pageviews