AboutStoreFavorite LinksHomeFavorite Blogs

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday Tip


 Today's tip is creating folders on your computer, and organizing your content.

See how I don't keep much on my computer screen?  I am so anal...I don't like a lot on the screen or below.  My hubby's computer drives me crazy because he has all those quick access buttons on his desktop.  

Moving On.........


First up, do you know how to create folders on your computer?  It's really quite simple. 

Step 1) Right click on your computer. 
You see a screen similar to the one above.  

Step 2) Select New.  Then select folder at the top.

You will get an icon like the one shown below.
You then enter the name of whatever you are wanting to place inside of it.

Let me take you a step farther...to show you how to place things inside.
I'm going to show you with clip art, though I do this with products I buy and make as well.

Ashley Hughes just came out with a really cute cupcake set for Valentine's Day. Her graphics are cute anyway, but when you combine my love for cupcakes AND her graphics...well, let's just say ONE HAPPY TEACHER :)

As  you can see, it came in a zip file, as do a lot of graphics and sometimes TpT products.  


I moved the zipped file to the folder called New Folder. You can highlight and drag, cut and paste, whatever you need to do to get it into your folder. 

Once it's inside of the folder, I left click and select "Extract Here"

When extracted, you will see the files that are named.
Of course the content will vary depending on product purchased.  I usually delete the parts I don't need from the file.  For example, I keep a folder labeled "blog buttons for credit", so if I didn't have Ashley's button, I would cut and paste it inside that folder.

Then I rename the folder once everything has been extracted.
.Notice that I named it something simple enough to help me remember--AND I added a name.
This helps me remember for my products so I can credit the proper person.

Remember in my first picture that I didn't have a lot of files all over my screen?
I organized them like this.
(You should be able to click on the picture to get a better image.)
I have my graphics all labeled by category.
Inside of each folder, are separate folders.
This is in the one labeled Animal Graphics.
 Notice how I credited the artists right beside the clip art.


When I buy the covered backgrounds you see (Called digital papers), I put them in a separate folder labeled :papers.  I'm debating whether or not I want to sort them out by color and type.  As of now, they are just sorted by artist.

However, some of the papers I purchase are only for seasonal.  In that case, I put it inside of the folder that it is best suited for.  Here's an example of my Christmas folder. I have several different papers in here with the Christmas theme, as well as my clip art.


Now to go back to review.  After downloading, extracting, and renaming Ashley's cupcakes, I would then move it to my Valentine folder, and I would know where to find them the next time.  Luckily I remember most of the clip art I have, though if I just purchase and download (and not extract), I forget that I have it.  I've done this before, and then because I don't like things all over my computer screen, I just drag it somewhere so that it's out of sight, out of mind.

****How many of you clean like that?  (I'm guilty of that on occasions, but I want to stop and organize things in my life more, if that's possible!)****

If by chance I do forget what I have on my computer, the search bar is great.  I can search for what it is I'm looking for if I remember a keyword.  You can do this as well for a product you're looking for if you can't find it.  It will sometimes scan your computer for a key word like nouns, or verbs.  However, it's always best to try to name your products when you download them, and put them in a folder quickly! :)

Even though this was about clip art.  I do the same things with my TpT products.  I name my folders Math, Science, Social Studies, etc.  I even go inside of the folders with new folders to break it down for quick looking---for example, addition to 20, skip counting, animals in winter, etc.

I hope this little tutorial has helped you learn how to create folders, and organize them.
This is now my 2nd Tuesday Tip, though my first one was more humorous (though I TOTALLY meant it lol).  What do you think of it?  Should I keep it up?  Thoughts?


6 comments:

  1. I organized my papers a little. I have a big folder for paper, then some folders inside are separated into chevron, dots, rainbow, glitter.

    The little extra work it takes to rename and organize is worth it at the end!

    Journey of a Substitute Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... I so need to organize my "stuff"- all of it. It is getting quite ridiculous. LOL. I really, really, really want a new computer so I've been putting it off until I get one. When that finally happens, it is going to take me forever! Technology Tips are always great:) Keep it up- and I'm looking forward to your recipes too:)
    Jennie
    JD's Rockin' Readers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! My desktop is a mess and I really need to do this. Thanks always for sharing your technology tips!
    Arlene
    LMN Tree

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh I need to do this!! Mine is seriously a HOT mess! oops!! Great tutorial!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just cleaned up my desktop and its amazing how much better it feels. You have a great system there.
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi DeAnne,

    Wanted to ask you a question... I tried to see if I could find my answer here. I know you have a GIGANTIC clip art collection. When you unzip the clipart, do you save the zipped file somewhere on your computer? Also I noticed that you use dropbox, do you store your clipart/graphics/fonts there or just your work?

    Thanks
    V.

    Iteachkidsabc@gmail.com
    :o) V.
    Special Teacher for Special Kids

    ReplyDelete

First Grade and Fabulous

Total Pageviews