AboutStoreFavorite LinksHomeFavorite Blogs

Friday, June 21, 2013

Neat Websites for the Classroom

Today I was baking in the kitchen--go figure!



A lot of sugar there--but I didn't eat them.  Do you know how many calories are in those things? YIKES!

Anyway, as the cupcakes were baking, I thought I'd play around on the computer and see what I could find.  I guess hindsight I probably should've cleaned house, or got on the treadmill--but what's the fun in that?  PLUS, I was making cupcakes.  The house is just going to get dirty (at least the kitchen), and getting on the treadmill--well, I guess I didn't want to get sweaty! ;)

So, as I was saying, I played around on the computer a little bit.  
I searched for some new websites to use in the classroom. 
 I found some cool things I'd like to share with you.
(Thanks to Ashely Hughes for the cute little computer!)

The first site is to create your own Jeopardy Games at Jeopardy Labs.
Yes you can do it on PowerPoint, but to me, this is much easier.
 This is the first screen.  You can see that you can build your own, or use games created by others.  There aren't a lot of games to choose from, but once you create a game with a free account, it stays public. 
 After you click the "start building" button, you will be taken to the above screen.  Notice that you aren't really creating an account.  You're just entering a password.

Here is what your Jeopardy Screen page will look like 
(but it does go to 500--my screen shot just wasn't big enough)
Enter a title for your game.  Then proceed with asking questions. 
 Save your game. 
 Remember your title, and you have your own Jeopardy Game to access later.  
This would be fun with math review, or even phonics skills. :)


Next up, we have Fuel the Brain.  
This is a cute little website for games, though probably geared more towards 2nd graders. 
I enjoyed playing the Jelly Golf.  
It was a fraction game.  ( I won! LOL)  I think this would be a good game for first graders too.
Some of the games are a little "advanced" for some of my students, but I could see this being a game site I will use this year.

Have you heard of Turtle Diary?

What a fun little website. 
What I like about this is it's a fun way to get my students to a)Use a mouse with dragging and dropping, and b) practice their skills. I can also differentiate with this website as it lists the content area, skill, and grades level recommendation (PK-2).  Check it out. 

And the last one for today---is for all you LUCKY teachers with I-PADS in your classroom.
It's called Appolicious--the Education page. 


It lists TONS of apps you can get for your I-Phone or I-Pad, and the reviews.  It's broken down by category.  I think it's a pretty neat little link, but I unfortunately don't have I-PADs in my classroom. 

So have you heard of any of these websites?
Would you like me to continue posting some great links I've found?


16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info about Jeopardy Labs. I have found some created with this site, but never knew how they had been created. I use one for Dr. Seuss and one to review at the end of the year. I love Jeopardy as much as the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh a Dr. Seuss one would be fun. I can't wait to try this out with my kids this year. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the websites. Please keep doing it. I heard about one called growlearning tonight at the ballpark.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to look into that one. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. So, I want to know how you can bake cupcakes, but not eat them. Are you kidding me? Ha ha! Yes, please keep posting about the websites you are finding. I will be getting 2 iPad minis, so I will check out Appolicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DeAnne, your cupcakes look delicious! They look so professional.
    I love your links to great websites, so keep them coming, please! :)
    Corinna
    ♥Teaching Fabulous Firsties!♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the links! Have you tried ABC Mouse? They have free accounts for teachers to set up for the classroom. Its really good for Pre K to Kinders. I used it for the beginning of the year for my 1st grade as K review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OHH Another good site I will have to check into. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  6. Please continue posting, these are fabulous. By the way, the cupcakes. . . Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. I pinned your post so that I can remember to use the Jeopardy site next year. Oh and your cupcakes look AmAzInG!!!

    --April

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those cupcakes look amazing!!! I seriously wanted to lick the screen!!!! LOL You have some serious will power to not eat those. I would have devoured them--but of course if I had baked them, they wouldn't have looked that appetizing!! Thanks for sharing the websites!!! :)


    Live Laugh and Love to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honestly...I love the cupcakes more than the websites!! How did you not eat one of each!?!? Finding new good educational websites is always a plus. Keep sending em'!

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade

    ReplyDelete

First Grade and Fabulous

Total Pageviews