AboutStoreFavorite LinksHomeFavorite Blogs

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Thanksgiving Games and Activities

There are times I missing being in the classroom.  Holidays mainly--I mean, I always did something fun in the classroom.  I always tied it back to a standard--MAYBE sometimes I stretched the standard to my way of thinking JUST a bit, but I wanted time in the classroom to be memorable.  I wanted school to be fun--not just data, testing, and practice books.....

Here are some of the things that I've done with my students in the past that I've enjoyed and they enjoyed!
Squanto's Snack
I wrote about Squanto's Snack a few years ago.
You can read that by clicking HERE

I noticed that this old post was getting some hits and pins, so I thought I'd update it just a bit.
It was written as a rebus story in the above link.  I created into a story book.
You can see that HERE

What about the stories the Great Turkey Race and  A Turkey for Thanksgiving?
I LOVE LOVE LOVE those stories.  
HERE are some activities I made to go with them a couple years ago.

I even tried my hand at making a craft.
I am definitely not an artist, but my students had fun with him! :)




Then there's the center pack that my students used to play with.
They enjoyed the activities in this as well.
Thanksgiving Stations-First Grade and Fabulous

But one of my FAVORITE activities for Thanksgiving was using the stories Samuel Eaton and Sarah Morton.
I LOVE teaching about the pilgrim holiday, the friendship, the hard work they did--comparing and contrasting their lives and ours---comparing/contrasting pilgrim boys and pilgrim girls.
This pack was so fun with my kiddos and they enjoyed it.
You can see about it and read what others think about this product HERE

This year, I'm also not working with students in math. 
Last year, I did both reading and math, so I used a few former FREE products. 
You can see them by clicking the images below. 
Roll a Pilgrim-First Grade and Fabulous


Don't Get Cooked Math Game

AND on the post above, I apparently thought it would be a good idea to try to get crafty yet again!
Here's my attempt at a pilgrim turkey. ;)
I did include the template HERE if you are interested.

Last year, when I was working with third grade, our students were struggling with verbs.
I made a verb packet, but forgot about it until just last week.
I like the activities in it, and it ties well into the upcoming holiday.
Run Turkey Run--A verb unit

I also worked with The Old Lady who Swallowed a Pie with my younger learners.
Old Lady who Swallowed a Pie
You can see the images of this activity pack HERE.

And then that brings me to where I'm at today.
A Reading Resource Teacher.  
I love my job--I truly do!  
HOWEVER, some days I feel as if I'm really not much of anything.
I see my groups for MAYBE a total of 17 minutes, on a good day.
I see 16 different groups throughout my day.
Some groups are 1-1, and some groups have 6 students. 
Some students are attendance issues, sometimes they have assessments to make up, and 
sometimes other things get in the way and I just don't always get to see my students.
A teacher's motto--Be flexible.  So I am.  
But then, I have to have things on hand and plans on hand.
We usually try to do a game or two throughout the week.
I have to admit though, I've slacked in the game department lately.
I just feel that sometimes there just isn't enough time..and my kiddos NEED a lot of reinforcement.
But then Monday--one of my littles said
Can we play a game?  
UGH!  It stabbed me right in the heart.  
I, unfortunately didn't have one that was at their skill level.
SOOO---Allow me to introduce this freebie!
Don't Get Cooked-Sight Word Game
This is a sight word game that should work perfectly for all of my groups.
You can grab your own copy by clicking the image above. :) 
I have color coded the Dolch words so that each set has its own unique color.
I've included directions in the download on how I play this game.
The cards made for this game will fit perfectly into the Target Dollar pocket charts. 

I have mine on a stand, and I prop it up on our guided reading table when we are playing these games.
You can read about that HERE




17 comments:

  1. Customary materials are currently being utilized, reused wood is ground up, prepared and finished into smooth new wood without chopping down any extra trees. Wood isn't the main material being reused in auto insides as old is new with regards to seat fabric also. cash advance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Security issue - one of the reason individuals like loft or apartment suite is a direct result of security. For an exceptionally essential condo there are two levels of security framework at least; one is the loft compound fencing with electronic entryway and security protect post and another is the security implemented access to the lift zone. check cashing costa-mesa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Auto employ in Australia is genuinely basic, helped by the way that they too drive on the left, with the majority of the significant auto rental firms offering auto rental in Australia with stations in the real towns and urban communities. check cashing

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome blog. i really like your blog.
    Great kilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. cerisea medica
    swithout the calories. It is very essential to take a lot of frequent normal water, when the adequate use of materials aspects avoid constipation and gas, as well as materials items should be taken under the elps to create experience, but k that our systems has sufficient veins sugar
    https://newsletterforhealth.com/cerisea-medica/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keto fit pro decrease by competition-- seems very interesting, also very true! During your school and college times you must have had a study-buddy. He must have helped you and you must have helped him to maintain
    https://newsletterforhealth.com/keto-fit-pro/

    ReplyDelete
  7. south beach diet
    ,Thermogenic drinks as well as enhance the metabolic process and thus help in dropping of the undesirable flab in your physique system. The metabolic process increases due to excellent concentration of catechin polyphenols. This intensifies the amount of fat oxidation and thermogenensisealth and the longevity of the age of The chinese is the confirmed realization they savor
    https://newsletterforhealth.com/south-beach-diet/

    ReplyDelete
  8. cerisea medica They don't have twenty-four time open coffee shops and Twenty 4 time emergency wards in the hospitals! • Eat slowly and steadily , enjoy the component that you're getting and you are definite to reach your goal-- healthy and balanced and healthy and balanced bodyweight loss! • duration of eating! ation!
    https://newsletterforhealth.com/cerisea-medica/

    ReplyDelete
  9. slim quick keto
    The truth is, though, if you are really serious about shedding that bodyweight for excellent, training needs to be a portion of your routine. So yes, do lace up those shoes and get moving because the evidence is clear: execute out, and specifically cardio, supports fat burning. Of course you have to watch .
    https://newsletterforhealth.com/slim-quick-keto

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shadow Creation is the process to change the color of an image or video..Shadow Creation It means correcting the lighting, white color balance, red or blue color balance, so that the image looks more clear or natural

    ReplyDelete
  11. Searching for Zoom thanksgiving activities? Check out these 7 completely free Zoom thanksgiving activities to play on zoom at your holiday gathering 2021. These activities are for all ages to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Informative Post! Thanksgiving is coming up and Thinking of what else to do during Virtual Thanksgiving? Here are the best Thanksgiving team building activities and games to play with office coworkers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. https://www.aspireleather.com/product/stranger-things-nancy-wheeler-jacket/
    visit my website jackets lover

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am very intresting.Thank for sharing this post.yellowstone season 5 jackets

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanksgiving is a special holiday that brings family and friends together to give thanks and celebrate the blessings of the year. One of the best ways to make the day even more memorable is by incorporating fun games and activities into the festivities.

    Whether it's playing a game of touch football, creating a thankful tree, or participating in a scavenger hunt, there are many options for activities that can be enjoyed by all ages. These games and activities not only add an element of fun to the day but also promote bonding and create lasting memories.
    See Some our real estate retouching Picture

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great article! I love the idea of doing fun and creative activities in the classroom that are also educational. It's a great way to make learning interesting and engaging. Thanksgiving can be such a fun subject to teach about and I think these ideas and activities for Thanksgiving really get the kids excited about the holiday and learning!
    Would you like to check out some jewelry photo retouching services ?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I appreciate you sharing this fantastic and enlightening post.

    ReplyDelete

First Grade and Fabulous

Total Pageviews