AboutStoreFavorite LinksHomeFavorite Blogs

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Photo Dump--A Few Days of Randomness

Lets start with math. Last night I shared this tens and more activity.  My students really seemed to enjoy it...and considering I am trying like crazy to hold their attention for the next 11 days, I am happy with that! Click the image below to read about the game.
http://firstgradeandfabulous.blogspot.com/2016/12/place-value-with-numbers-in-teens.html

We have also worked on sets of ten.  I had made loops from colored yarn, and the students physically looped each set of ten as they counted them out.  This was a great visual for them.  We counted by tens, and the numerals were written and placed under each set as they counted by tens.  I asked them if they noticed anything about the numbers.  They recognized that the numbers were getting bigger, and that each one had a zero.  I took that answer and ran with it.  I covered up the zero, and had them look at the first number.  This number tells us how many sets of ten we have. The number was underlined. I then placed out a few more sets and gave students the numbers and they ordered them for me under each set of ten.  I stopped at 50 and asked what the next number would be, and how many sets of ten would we have.  They were able to identify that it would be 60 which is 6 groups.  WHOO!  We nailed it!  I was worried about doing it this way with this group of little learners, but they did very well, and I believe that the visual helped with manipulatives much better than looping a group of ten from a math worksheet.


 We have worked on fact families, fact fluency, and missing addends.  Here the students were to sort number sentences by family numbers, and determine the missing addend.  AND how cute are those graphics?? Anything with a cupcake is perfect to me! :)  You can see more about these activities by clicking the images below.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Reindeer-Games-Math-Activities-for-First-Grade-1003733https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Reindeer-Games-Math-Activities-for-First-Grade-1003733

 We also practiced our double facts to 6.  We shake our dice in little containers picked up from the Dollar Tree (as well as using red and green dice that also came from the Dollar Tree.)  If you want this little activity, it was a freebie from a few years ago.  Click the image to grab your own copy.

Doubles to 6 Game

One way I've been working with my students with math facts is by using a deck of cards.  They were so excited when I got these out.  (I have also picked up character cards from the Dollar Tree with Minions, Frozen, and Jumbo cards.)  I shared this on IG last week.  You can read my post on my IG photo below on how we used playing cards as a manipulative for subtraction.

For reading, here are some fun things we've been doing.  Of course I have to refer back to my sight word fluency reads.  I have passed these out to coworkers, and parents to use at home.  I see a huge difference when these are being used.  These little triangles are by far one of my favorite go to activities, and the students really feel successful when they read them as well. It's a great way to work on sight words IN text, and NOT in isolation. They have been made in both Dolch and Fry Words.  I do use both of those sets as the words may overlap between the two lists, BUT the fluency reads are DIFFERENT in each set. You can click below to check them out. I also have a few blog posts on them HERE.

Sight Word Fluency Reads

One of my groups of kiddos are still working on CvC words. We are using activities in the Reading Detectives pack. We tapped out/read all the CvC words and colored/highlighted the words that followed the vowel sound we were focusing.  Then we transferred that sound into a story where we read it, and illustrated it for simple comprehension.  The next day, we read the story again and answered the comprehension questions (not shown).  If you are interested in checking these out, there is a blog post with a freebie HERE.
You can also check these out on TpT and see what other teachers are saying about these packets--just click the images below. 

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/First-Grade-And-Fabulous/Search:reading+detectivehttps://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/First-Grade-And-Fabulous/Search:reading+detective


Finally, this game was a HIT with my kiddos. 
They had so much fun reading the sentences and determining the missing word.
Great for skippy frog activities, sight words, cloze exercises, AND comprehension.
They wanted to play again and again.  Hey, when they are reading, who is to argue with that? :)
You can check this game out by clicking on any one of the images below.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Rockin-Reindeer-Literacy-Stations-for-Your-Little-Deer-Learners-1022031https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Rockin-Reindeer-Literacy-Stations-for-Your-Little-Deer-Learners-1022031
 And just look at those ADORABLE graphics!!!
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Rockin-Reindeer-Literacy-Stations-for-Your-Little-Deer-Learners-1022031


Okay, well my phone, I think has been cleaned up for now.

I hope that you have a GREAT rest of the week!! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

First Grade and Fabulous

Total Pageviews